Listen to the Spotify playlist below to hear the original samples used to create Amerigo’s B.B. King x UGK collaboration The Trill Is Gone. Featuring tracks by B.B. King, UGK, Talib Kweli, Marlena Shaw, Devin The Dude, The Honey Drippers, E-40, Geto Boys, The Crusaders, Sonny Boy Williamson and many more.
Under the Soul Mates Project banner of “collaborations that never were,” Amerigo Gazaway’s latest imagines a recording session between Blues great, BB King, and Texas rap legends, UGK. Aptly titled “BB & The Underground Kingz: The Trill is Gone,” the producer seamlessly bridges the gap between hip-hop and its predecessor, the blues.
Crafting the album’s bedrock from deconstructed samples of King’s electric blues hits, Gazaway re-imagined what might have happened had King and UGK actually recorded in the same time and space. Tapping UGK historian and documentary film maker, Sama’an Ashrawi, for unreleased interview audio, the producer cleverly uses the soundbites to help build his project’s narrative. Strategically looping and lacing Lucille’s guitar licks and B.B.’s road tales with Bun B & Pimp C’s southern fried storytelling, Gazaway finds a sweet spot in the overlapping themes of his subjects’ respective catalogs.
2. The Trill Is Gone (feat. Mr. 3-2 & Ronnie Spencer)
3. Make Love To My Car
4. Country Cousins (feat. Talib Kweli & Raheem DeVaughn)
5. They Luv That (feat. Bubba Sparxxx)
6. Int’l Blues Players Anthem (feat. Outkast & Eric Clapton)
7. Lil’ Ghetto Woman (feat. Lil’ Wayne & Marlena Shaw)
8. What Means The World To Pimp (feat. Ludacris)
10. Pop It For Pimp (feat. Juvenile)
11. Same Old Story (feat. P.O.P.)
12. Want A White Gurl So Bad
13. The Truth Hurts (feat. Scarface)
14. That’s Gangsta Life
15. Pourin’ Up
16. Get Out The Way
18. Smoke Sumthin’ (feat. Trill A.G.) (Bonus Track)